Conquesta Primary School Olympiads was started in 1998 by Lillian
Hoogervorst as an external activity for primary school children, from all
walks of life, in all the provinces of South Africa, as well as neighbouring
African countries – so that ALL children, no matter what their academic
abilities, have an opportunity to be encouraged by the excitement of
participating in an external Olympiad and being rewarded for same.
Conquesta Olympiads are multiple choice question papers which
challenge learner knowledge in the various subjects on offer (like a
written quiz). New papers are written each year. Past papers are
available for revision, both at home and in the classroom.
The Olympiads do not interfere with the school’s curriculum nor with the
examinations. Learners can participate in all or any number of the
Olympiads. All exam papers are CAPS compliant. Robotics for grades
6-9 will also be offered from 2019
All learners, regardless of their academic capabilities, should be
given the opportunity to participate. Our entry forms can be downloaded
from our website at www.conquestaolympiads.com or you can contact
us and we will email you an entry form. Class lists may be submitted in
the place of entry forms if all learners in the same grade are writing the
same subjects. Entries need to reach us by our closing date each year
– usually at the end of April, latest end of May.
Conquesta Olympiads are coordinated by Conquesta. The schools
invigilate the Olympiads on the given dates. Please note that no
teacher training is required.
Every child can be exposed to the excitement of participation in an external Olympiad. The layout of our papers is set to encourage rather than disenchant, and are aimed at learner participation and
• In time for year-end prize giving, EVERY participant will receive an A4 colour certificate, no matter what their results. The school also receives a certificate reflecting the average achievement, calculated from the top 10 results in each subject/grade.
• Educators can measure learners’ abilities against the national and international averages (computed from participating schools).
• The Results List, which participating schools receive together with their certificates at the end of October each year, reflect each child’s results and the school’s averages by grade and subject.
• The national averages are posted on our website early the following year.
• Top Learner Achiever Lists will also be provided for every subject from Grades 4-9. These will list the learner names and the schools that they attend and will be posted on our website at the end of every year A separate listing of statistics for grades 4 – 7 Mathematics, Science & Technology is also provided to enable schools to assess their strengths and weaknesses in these subjects by grade and learning area. These are called MLA, SLA and TLA reports.
• We have many years of past papers available, which can be used to prepare the learners for the Olympiads, as well as for use in the classroom throughout the year. These past papers can be ordered online at www.conquesteapastpapers.com, or you can contact Hazel Raath at our office (031) 764 1972.
Conquesta Olympiads are open to every single learner, from grade 1
through to grade 7, in South Africa and neighboring countries (Namibia,
Botswana and Swaziland).
How it works
We supply everything by door to door courier service, and there is
minimal work or expense from the school’s side. For schools collecting
finance form parents, we provide a typed letter to parents for you to
copy and send home with the learners, so they can select subjects and
collect finances. Just follow the simple Procedures, which will be
provided. Exam papers are couriered to participating schools towards
the end of July each year. We provide personalized exam papers for
grades 1-3 and personalized answer sheets with exam papers for
grades 4-7 – for every participating learner. All the simple instructions
are included. Educators only need to invigilate each Olympiad on the
given date. At the end of the final Olympiad, all the grade 1-3 papers
and grade 4-7 answer sheets are to be returned to Conquesta for
marking. We mark the papers and then courier certificates and results
back to the school by end of October, in time for the end of year prize
R18 once-off registration fee for each learner, plus R16 per learner for
each subject being written.
The schools and every learner receives a certificate. (See ‘What is the
Benefit?’ above.) Schools can compare their results to the national
averages. Schools receive reports (refer to ‘What is the benefit?’
above.”) Schools, who meet the criteria of number of participants, are
automatically included in our Top 20 calculations. We have had
learners from the poorest and most remote areas, who have shone and
brought their schools
The exams are written in August (for 4 Term Schools) and in
September (three term schools) every year.